BendFilm celebrated its 15th Anniversary in 2018 and what a year it has been. Throughout the year we served over 12,000 individuals at our year-round screenings, in our education programs and at the October Festival. We hosted over 120 filmmakers. While we are excited about those numbers, it is some of the immeasurable moments that will stay with us.
The Festival was full of spontaneous street performances by local performers from Tula Movement Arts and the Spinsterz that got people talking in line and opening up to one another. The presence of so many filmmakers (including some big names in the indie film world like Adam Beach, Chris Eyre, Paul Lieberstein, Debra Granik, Anne Rosellini and Ondi Timoner) made the experience in the theater dynamic and thought-provoking. We added new programming in Madras and Warm Springs to bring new voices into the fold. Saw the future of film with Jesse Locke’s Choose Your Own Adventure film, Mrs. Ingram and the Virtual Reality lounge. Our Future Filmmakers program for young storytellers continues to blow us away as we shine a light on the courageous students we have in Central Oregon. And over $11,000 in sponsored cash was awarded to several deserving emerging filmmakers. Take a minute to browse the photos for a quick re-cap of all the magic that transpired at the Festival.
Overall, we are left feeling the deep and lasting power film has to bring us closer. And we couldn’t do it without you.
Some Audience and filmmaker feedback:
- LaRonn Katchia, young filmmaker and Warm Springs home towner writing social media: “I’m on cloud 9. Last night was so damn beautiful. What a grand turn out. Adam Beach and Chris Eyre were able to see our short film and screening alongside SMOKE SIGNALS <– was such an honor, especially in front of my home crowd. I hope I did y’all justice. [Other] So here is a picture of Adam Beach taking a picture of us…my mind is blown. A young native filmmaker’s dream.”
- Oscar-nominated Director, Debra Granik: “Back home and still in a swirl of positive memories from the weekend. You and your team put on a moving, wide-reaching and wonderfully spirited festival in a town that is very conducive. Anne and I got a big healthy morale boost from having the chance to meet and hear from people who respond to the work we do. You have been such a truly deep supporter of the work and…we feel the positive impact of that support.
- 2-Time Sundance Winner, Ondi Timoner: “Just finishing a #retrospective of my work here at the BendFilm Festival. Brilliant filmmakers here! Loved doing Q&A with #debragranik & Anne Rosellini and biking to the last #Blockbuster in America with Bryan Storkel & Lucy Hayes – What a naturally beautiful American town & a class act festival. #filmmaking #blessed.
- From a community leader and BendFilm supporter : “I just wanted to say I experience increased enthusiasm for and enjoyment of Bend Film. The feeling of connection, of being taken outside our realm of trivial “to do’s”, and the ability to wrestle with larger issues is both provocative and deeply satisfying. Like a wonderful and healthy meal for the brain. And the folks involved with the filmmakers I found to be uniformly generous and patient. What you are doing is a vital part of the growth of this town. Many of these films take us outside the comfort zone. A good place from which to grow and consider change.
- A BendFilm member and passholder: “This festival nourished my soul.”
From another big supporter: “First, thank you for all of your efforts in bringing BendFilm Festival to the community. We attended the screenings of 15 films this year, many of which we rated outstanding. There were some truly exceptional films this year and from those that we saw, an overall uplifting, motivational and humanitarian theme. Thank you especially for that approach in a time when many of us fear for the future.
Thank you once again!”
We have so much planned for 2019 and are excited about where BendFilm will go next. Please help us to continue pushing this organization and community forward by becoming a member. Members get FREE entry into select year-round screenings, get 20% off festival passes and much more.
Thank you BendFilm fans for making all of this possible!
Get your film festival passes today to see Shelton screen Bull Durham and revisit some of his classic films at this year’s festival OCT 10-13 in Bend, Oregon.