JOBS & OPPORTUNITIES
Position: BendFilm Development and Communications Director
Job Location: Bend, OR
Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Full Time-Exempt Position
THE BENDFILM MISSION
BendFilm celebrates independent cinema’s unique power to enrich lives, amplify diverse voices, and inspire change while educating future storytellers and bringing vibrant festival experiences to communities across Central Oregon year round.
BendFilm is currently seeking a full-time Development and Communications Director to lead fundraising and communications activities in a highly respected, dynamically expanding non-profit organization that operates regular events of large and small scale and a daily operating movie theater. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, well organized, technically proficient, have a solid understanding of communications and development processes, and be passionate about working in the arts and culture arena.
The Development and Communications Director’s (DCD) primary role is to drive both contributed and earned revenue growth by identifying connections and cultivating relationships, identifying, strengthening and executing granting opportunities, and implementing innovative campaigns to engage audiences, customers and donors. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the DCD will work closely with the key leadership to develop and execute messaging and engagement campaigns and special events aligned with BendFilm’s mission, vision, and core values. The DCD will have experience and comfort directly and efficiently performing all tasks associated with communications, development, and grant writing as necessary to reach goals. The Director will have the ability to operate in a fast-paced, vibrant environment, enjoy working in the rapidly changing events and retail industries, move multiple projects forward, and utilize high-level strategic thinking as well as implement projects and tasks.
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and encourage applicants who may not meet every qualification described. Some level of training may be provided if needed.
- Create an annual strategic revenue growth plan and actively seek and develop opportunities.
- Nurture our culture of giving with our communities inside and outside of Bend, from Board Members, staff, volunteers, and audiences, to Central Oregon residents and businesses, and our corporate sponsors/partners
- Meet or exceed annual revenue goals.
- Be an active, bold and effective networker to grow corporate, foundation, individual and commercial relationships.
- Provide leadership, direction and coaching to BendFilm Board to help members meet individual and team annual goals/targets.
- Work with Executive Director, Advisors and Board Members to identify potential new donors, members and sponsors and engage their support.
- Sustain and further donor, member and sponsor relationships with foundations, corporations, and other major donors keeping them engaged, informed and inspired to grow long-term funding.
- Identify grant funding opportunities for current programs and future initiatives.
- Perform all grant writing, budgeting, tracking, calendaring, reporting, and additional documentation responsibilities including managing timeframes and submissions.
MARKETING AND OUTREACH
- Supervise the BendFilm Content Creator and Social Media Manager (Marketing team) to design and execute all audience communications including daily social media posts.
- Develop comprehensive and detailed communications plans and schedules to market all upcoming events and programs and maximize attendance.
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCY
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills coupled with working independently, efficiently and a detailed-orientation approach to work.
- Extensive computer proficiency, competence with office software, knowledge of customer or audience CRM systems and system development, as well experience with various fundraising platforms.
- Extensive comfort and experience with online messaging platforms in general including all Google apps, spreadsheets, social media platforms, various website CMS’, Mailchimp, and more.
- Comfort designing, directing and implementing graphic elements and copywriting for marketing communications on multiple platforms.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organization and be flexible to respond to changing priorities.
- Capability to establish rapport with high-level donors, members of the Board and committee members.
- Demonstrated experience with peer-to-peer fundraising and corporate relationships.
- Strategic thinking abilities with strong planning, organizational and implementation skills.
- Experience with fiscal planning, forecasting, and budgeting.
- Public presentation capabilities to engage small or large groups of participants, volunteers, and donors.
- Travel may be needed to visit various sites and donors throughout Oregon.
- In-person participation in monthly presentations to the Board of Trustees.
- Weekly management meeting with BendFilm Executive Director.
- Proven track record of achieving financial goals & successful strategies.
- Knowledge of donor relations, corporate sponsorship development and grant writing.
- Effectively utilize, systemize, and improve BendFilm’s technology platforms
The BendFilm organization values equity, diversity, and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer.
JOB TYPE: Full-time
Competitive pay commensurate with experience
Health Care Benefits available
Holiday Paid Time Off available
Matching SIMPLE IRA also available
*Provide cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Listing closes on June 15, 2023 and position starts July 5, 2023 or sooner.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described though feel you are capable of meeting expectations. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel welcome to contact email@example.com to discuss your application.